Applying Best Practice in the Early Years, for Clinic Based and Independent Practitioners
About this course
This course takes Speech and Language Therapists through the process of assessment and clinical decision-making when working with preschool children. It focuses on working with individual children and making links with parents and settings. During the course you will:
- Understand how to apply evidence to practice when working with children in the early years
- Explore the journey of children with language and communication needs:
- from referral through assessment
- clinical decision-making and differential diagnosis
- therapeutic approaches and capturing progress
- Review examples of how this works that you could apply to your own practice
- Learn practical strategies you can use in your work
Speech and Language Therapist & Professional Director of Lingo
Wendy Lee has worked as a Speech and Language Therapist for over 30 years, in clinical practice, higher education and the third sector. She was Professional Director at The Communication Trust until 2015 where she led several projects, as well as inputting to national policy and research.
Wendy is currently the Director of LINGO, which provides consultancy, professional development, resources and speech and language therapy. She works with academy trusts, schools, and settings and in partnership with local and national organisations supporting speech, language, and communication.
During this course, we cover:
- Assessment options for preschool children with language and communication needs
- Using assessment to support clinical decision-making
- Approaches to supporting language and communication – what works
- Working with parents and settings
- Tracking and capturing progress
Case studies are used as exemplars throughout.
Who this course is suitable for
This training is for Speech and Language Therapists working with preschool children referred with language and communication needs, where their work is predominantly working individually with children in clinics or home-based.
This course is presented Virtual Live – Online over Zoom
This course is available on various dates throughout the year. To view available course dates and book your place click here.
During the booking process, you can choose to reserve a place, while you confirm you can attend or organise payment through your employer. We can hold your place for up to four weeks. If we have not heard from you before this time, we may cancel your reservation so other people can attend the training.
Course Beetle is an approved supplier for NHS Trusts, Local Authorities and Schools.
“Wendy was very engaging and extremely helpful and informative, I really valued her wealth of wisdom, knowledge and experience with evidence-based guidance for informed clinical decisions in Early Years.”
“It was a good refresher on what to do with children from start to finish. I loved that it was focused on case studies and that we worked through these. I like that it is a half-day course.”
“I liked the way a lot of useful information was presented, ‘as described on the tin’ in a very accessible way. It was great to see all the evidence-based strategies for supporting early language brought together in this way. The opportunities for sharing situations with other participants were useful but not overdone. Good use of case studies.”