Introduction to Stammering
Introduction to Stammering
What is this course?
This one-day course will provide an overview of stammering for therapists, teachers, doctors and any other interested parties.
Start date Monday 24 May 2021
Time 9:30am - 4:30pm
Student and SaLT returners to work £50
Course presenter: Elaine Kelman
Consultant Speech and Language Therapist
Elaine Kelman is a consultant speech and language therapist and the head of the Michael Palin Centre for Stammering in London. She is a registered European Fluency Specialist and has contributed to the Centre’s development of various stammering therapy programmes. Elaine has published and presented a number of papers, chapters and books. She is the co-author of Palin Parent-Child Interaction Therapy for Early Childhood Stammering and she participates in the Centre’s international training and research programme. Elaine is Secretary of the International Fluency Association, Chair of the European Fluency Specialists Board, an ASHA affiliate and a Specialist Adviser to the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists.
Why attend this course?
- Course attendees will:
- Increase their understanding about stammering, how it manifests and how it can affect a child, young person or adult’s communication, confidence and participation.
- Be more knowledgeable about what strategies may support stammering in the home, school and wider environment.
- Increase their understanding of stammering therapy and its outcomes.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for speech and language therapists, teachers, doctors and any other interested parties.
- What is stammering? – what happens when someone is speaking, as well as how it can affect their feelings, their confidence, their behaviour and their life
- Why do people stammer? – what the research has taught us about the causes of stammering
- When a young child starts to stammer, how will we know if it is likely to continue? – how parents, doctors and therapists can decide what to do
- What can parents do to help? – tips and strategies to share with parents, to support their child to enjoy talking with confidence
- What therapies are available and what can we expect them to do? – the options for stammering therapy through the age range and the possible outcomes
- How can teachers help?- the challenges that school might present and helpful strategies that can support the child or student to flourish in school
Course Beetle are approved suppliers for many NHS Trusts, Local Authorities and Schools, and have many years of experience in dealing with procurement and supply.
- You can book and pay instantly by card
- You can ask for a quotation so your organisation can raise a purchase order
- You can ask us to send an invoice that can be paid by BACS or cheque
- You can hold a place while you confirm you can attend by clicking here.