Talking Mats Foundation Training
Talking Mats Foundation Training
What is this course?
This Foundation Training is for anyone who would like to learn how to use the innovative and award-winning Talking Mats approach to support people with communication difficulties.
Talking Mats is a framework that supports holistic, person-centred planning and practice by ensuring an individual’s voice is heard. The approach helps a person’s understanding, reflection and expression and provides a framework that supports decision-making in line with legislative and policy frameworks.
Practitioners working across a wide variety of sectors, for example, Health, Education, Social Care, and Justice, use Talking Mats to support the children, young people, and adults they work with to talk about their experiences, views, and feelings.
Talking Mats Foundation Training leads to registration as a Registered Talking Mats user. Delegates attending this course receive a downloadable manual and example resources to support their learning on the course, with options to purchase card resource packs and bundles, mats, and the digital Talking Mat as required.
Talking Mats resources are available to purchase at a significantly reduced rate for people who have completed their Talking Mats Foundation Training. People who have completed this course will also gain the ability to access Talking Mats advanced resource packs and training options.
Start date Thursday 5 May 2022
Further date/s Thursday 12th May 2022 and Wednesday 25th May or Thursday 26th May 2022
Time 10.00am - 12:30pm
Location Online: You will be emailed joining instructions to access this course
Fee £174.00 - £195.00
Student and SaLT returners to work £98
Course presenter: Laura Holmes
Laura is the Talking Mats Lead Associate for Children and Young People, and has worked for Talking Mats since 2016.
Laura has worked as a Speech and Language Therapist for almost 20 years in NHS as well as independent practice. Laura has gained experience working with both children and adults, across a diverse range of settings including mainstream schools, specialist schools and resource bases (primary and secondary), and community clinics.
Laura also currently works for NHS Stockport Foundation Trust as a Highly Specialist Speech and Language Therapist with the Stockport Virtual Schools Team. This role involves extensive use of Talking Mats to support the looked-after children and young people she works with to express their thoughts and feelings, enabling their voices to be heard and responded to by those around them.
Why attend this course?
- You want to understand the principles and process for using Talking Mats, and to learn good communication techniques.
- You want to use Talking Mats with the children, young people and/or adults you work with, to support them to have their voices heard and listened to about a wide range of topics.
- You want to involve children, young people and/or adults meaningfully in deciding personal outcomes and targets, by ensuring their voice is at the heart of planning and intervention.
- You want to open-up discussions with the children, young people and/or adults you work with, perhaps about potentially sensitive or difficult topics.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for a wide range of participants, for example speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, teachers, care providers and advocacy workers, social workers, nurses, dieticians, psychologists, career advisors, rehabilitation professionals.
Session 1 (2.5hr Zoom)
- Thursday 5th May 2022, 10.00 am – 12.30 pm UK Time
- What is a Talking Mat?
- The Talking Mats Process
- Research Evidence
- Who Can Use Talking Mats?
- Impact of Talking Mats
- Preparation for Session 2 Assignment
Session 2 (2.5hr Zoom)
- Thursday 12th May 2022, 10.00 am – 12.30 pm UK Time
- Session 2 Assignment – Reflection
- Thinking about Topscales
- Digital Talking Mats
- Planning your own Mats
- Preparation for Video Assignment
Session 3 (1-hour Zoom Video Reflection Session – Flexi book, max.3 delegates per hour)
- Wednesday 25th May 2022 10.00 am – 11.00 am or 11.00 am – 12.00 pm UK Time
- Thursday 26th May 2022 10.00 am – 11.00 am or 11.00 am – 12.00 pm UK Time
- Video presentations
- Supportive reflection with your tutor and peers
- Next steps: Registration, Licensing, and Network opportunities
Optional Course Materials
You may attend this course without purchasing materials, however if you would like to purchase resources for use after you have completed your training you may add required resources to your order.
Course Beetle are approved suppliers for many NHS Trusts, Local Authorities and Schools, and have many years of experience in dealing with procurement and supply.
- You can book and pay instantly by card
- You can ask for a quotation so your organisation can raise a purchase order
- You can ask us to send an invoice that can be paid by BACS or cheque
- You can hold a place while you confirm you can attend by clicking here.